Fri, 30 Oct 2020

British Health Minister Lays Out COVID-19 Response as Cases Surge

Voice of America
22 Sep 2020, 06:05 GMT+10

Britain's health minister went before parliament Monday to discuss the government's response to a surge in positive COVID-19 cases in the nation.

Matt Hancock acknowledged what the government's top medical and science advisers had said earlier in the day - that COVID-19 has been surging across age groups throughout much of Britain.

Among the steps the government plans to take, Hancock said, is encouraging self-isolation by those who have been infected or exposed to the virus. The government will also offer a single support payment of about $640 for low-income people for whom self-isolation would be an economic hardship.

Hancock said those asked to self-isolate who refuse to do so could face fines of nearly $13,000 for serious breaches or repeat offenders.

The health minister told British lawmakers that demand for testing has dropped slightly since last week, taking a little pressure off the system. Nonetheless, the demand for tests remains high enough that the government must prioritize who receives them.

Hancock said acute care cases are the top priority for testing, followed by people in care homes, National Health Service targeted testing for outbreak management and surveillance studies, teaching staff with symptoms, and the general public.

He said the government continues working on further measures to address the COVID-19 surge, and the prime minister will update parliament Tuesday on further measures.

Earlier Monday, the government's chief medical adviser reported the latest figures show new cases in Britain totaled more than 6,000 per day. Chris Witty said if nothing changes, at the current rate of infection, new cases could reach 50,000 a day by this time next month.

More United Kingdom News

Access More

Sign up for United Kingdom News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!